Position Title:City Clerk
Company:City Of Gilroy
Location:CA 95020, CA
The City Clerk is a management-level Officer in the Administration Department, City Clerk’s Office. The City Clerk attends and provides support for all meetings of the City Council. The City Clerk is responsible for noticing of hearings and meetings, recording and maintaining a record of all proceedings, ordinances and resolutions, including all written contracts and official bonds, indexed and available for public inspection; is custodian of the City Seal; administers oaths or affirmations, takes affidavits and depositions pertaining to the affairs and business of the City and certifies copies of official records; serves as the City’s Election Officer; coordinates and/or responds to requests for records;
- Develop and direct the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards for the City Clerk’s Office.
- Prepare and complete public noticing of hearings and meetings.
- Prepare and direct the distribution of Council agenda materials.
- Follow-up after Council meetings to ensure that appropriate actions are taken, questions answered, and individuals notified.
- Develop a Citywide, computer-based records management system.
- Answer questions regarding City activities, policies, and regulations.
- Distribute and process election documents.
- Coordinate the formation of assessment districts.
- Prepare and monitor the budget for the City Clerk’s office.
- Coordinate official filing for Fair Political Practices Commission documents.
- Evaluate and assign work to assigned clerical and/or support personnel and provide for their training and professional development.
- Be responsible for the morale and productivity of the City Clerk’s office.
- Interpret City and Department policies and procedures to assigned employees.
- Provide varied staff assistance to the City Administrator, including providing agenda support for agenda review and other similar meetings, ensuring for agenda production consistent with direction received, attending assigned meetings, proactively communicating matters related to the City Clerk’s office, obtaining information from various departments and conducting studies and projects related to any City function as directed.
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college with a bachelor’s degree in public administration, political science, or other related field of study. Additional responsible administrative experience with a municipal agency may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis to a maximum equivalent of two years of higher education. A Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Three years of experience as a City Clerk or other similar experience which has included high-level administrative responsibilities, personnel and budgeting experience and significant public contact experience.
- One year of supervisory level experience which has included the supervision, evaluations, and training of assigned support staff.
- Possession of a Certified Municipal Clerk (CMC) designation by the International Institute of Municipal Clerks.
- Possession of a Municipal Master Clerk (MMC) designation by the International Institute of Municipal Clerk preferred and may be required as a future professional development goal.
- Strong technology skills related to the work of the City Clerk’s office.
- Attention to detail is essential.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Pass an employment background check, including a Department of Justice criminal record check.